Originally slated for the weekend for Jan. 4, the closure of Hwy. 288 and Broadway Street has been moved back one week, officials said.
In the planned closure, starting at 9 p.m. Jan. 11 and ending by 5 a.m. Jan. 14:
- 288 northbound will be closed from County Road 59 to Broadway Street
- 288 southbound will be closed from Hickory Slough to Broadway Street
- Broadway Street will be closed both ways from Smith Ranch Road to Business Center Drive
The closure will allow for the demolition of the Hwy. 288 overpass bridge at that intersection as part of the Brazoria County Expressway project.
PEARLAND CITIZENS ALERT
S: Brazoria County 288/518 Closure This Weekend
Brazoria County Traffic Alert (518 and 288): This weekend, January 11th-14th, Brazoria County will be closing both 518 and 288, beginning 9 p.m. Friday, to demolish the old main lanes bridges of 288 that crossover 518. The 288 closure is expected to be Friday night, ending at approximately 9 a.m. on Saturday. Construction crews will reopen the main lanes as soon as safe conditions exist. 518 will be closed the entire weekend, until 5 a.m. on Monday for removal of the demolition debris and clean up. East and westbound traffic on 518 will have to turn right onto the 288 frontage roads.
Details of the closure expectations are subject to change based on weather conditions, but are currently planned as follows:
– 518 between the 288 frontage roads will be closed from 9 p.m. Friday, January 11th through 5 a.m. Monday, January 14th
– Northbound 288 from Magnolia (CR 59) to 518 from 9 p.m. Friday, January 11th through 9 a.m. Saturday, January 12th
– Southbound 288 from Discovery Bay Drive to 518 from 9 p.m. Friday, January 11th through 9 a.m. Saturday, January 12th
The reconstruction of this corridor will improve drainage and mobility for future growth by creating longer bridges over 518 that will allow 518 to be widened in the future. The construction project is expected to be complete by the end of 2019, and then the City, the Pearland Economic Development Corporation, and the Pearland Municipal Management District #2 will begin beautification enhancements (landscaping and decorative signs) shortly thereafter.
Visit the Brazoria County Expressway website for details –